REPORTING TO: Engineer/Senior Engineer
- Set out as directed and ensure the information provided is clearly understood
- Disseminate information from drawings, specifications, etc. to foremen, operatives, subcontractors, so that they clearly understand what is required
- Test materials as directed by your supervisor in accordance with the relevant specifications
- Highlight discrepancies between actual vs. calculated materials required [e.g., concrete]
- Meet weekly programme targets as set by site management
- Record all daily activities, relevant information and occurrences in your site diary
- Record and report on work progress including that of subcontractors to your manager
- Listen to and learn from more experienced site personnel - if in doubt, ask
- Pursue, your own development and training proactively [i.e. complete the work-based development programme in a timely manner]
- Conduct your work in a safe manner – report those who do not
- Develop professional working relationships with your work colleagues
- Monitor and check setting out instruments and testing equipment
- Maximise profit through your day-to-day actions: good self-management, accuracy in your own work, elimination of re-work and waste
- Follow directions and attend meetings as required
Health & Safety
- Become familiar with the Flynn Safety Management System
- Gain an appreciation of the Fire Regulations and other statutory obligations that apply
- Become familiar with the following documentation - know a) what they are used for, b) where they are, c) are they current, and d) how they apply to you:
- Become proficient with equipment, technology and tricks - measure twice, cut once [Total Station, Level, GPS, Laser, profiles, pins]
- Become competent in applying relevant equipment in particular situations [Total Station – Level bridges, bulk earth – GPS, etc]
- Learn about tolerances, recheck the benchmarks, resurvey constructed work
- Become familiar with materials shown on drawings and their specifications
- Learn how to quantify materials for ordering from drawings, site conditions, and Bill of Quantities [theoretical vs reality, e.g. pipelines, concrete, etc…]
- Become familiar with the Site and Company procurement system
- Know how to classify and recognise materials to maximise reuse and minimise waste.
Plant & Equipment
- Gain an appreciation of plant and equipment as it applies to your job [e.g., application, limitations, outputs, tests, efficiencies]
- Learn safety regs, forms and certifications relating to plant & equipment and its operators on your site.
- Know the subcontractors defined scope of works.
- Gain an appreciation of specialist trades [e.g., M+E, curtain walling, structural steel, cladding, etc]
- Appreciate that every activity undertaken on site has a commercial implication
- Recognise a variation and its implications [i.e., how do I get paid for this work?]
- 3rd level degree in a related discipline.
- Good communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Self-starter with good judgment and the ability to work under pressure.
- Eagerness and willingness to learn and develop.
Flynn is an equal opportunities employer, if you wish to apply for this job please send a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the Role title in the subject line when applying for this role.
By applying for a position with Flynn and forwarding your details included in your CV, you are consenting to Flynn processing your data in line with data protection legislation and for purposes of our recruitment and selection process only. Your information will be stored securely and will only be held for so long as is necessary and in line with our Data Retention Policy. You rights under data protection law, including the right of access to your personal data are protected, however, we will not provide the following types of information in response to a data access request: information about other people; opinions given in confidence; repeat requests; or privileged information. If you have any queries about our Privacy Notice, please contact Deirdre Breen, Senior HR Manager at email@example.com or in writing to: Flynn, Blackwater Road, Dublin Industrial Estate, Glasnevin, Dublin 11.