Summary of Role
Assist in supporting the implementation of the business strategy. Ensuring the successful financial completion of projects, ensure targets are being met and exceeded where possible, ensure the Company is protected against financial risks, all done while adhering to the commercial procedures of the business. Responsible for the day to day commercial measurement and reporting across allocated projects whilst at the same time sharing knowledge and relationships across all other groups.
Responsible for all post contract quantity surveying duties on projects which you have been allocated by either commercial manager or senior quantity surveyor
Summary / Pre-requisites for a Quantity Surveyor
- Always desires to portray the Company in a positive manner,
- Needs to have Level 2 / 3 Specific skills, or at least be willing to get training to ensure these become second nature
- Demonstrates good technical & interpersonal skills,
- Demonstrates strong negotiation & conflict management skills,
- Needs to continually expand project experience and build relationships with design teams & clients alike
- Is creative & forward thinking in a multi-dimensional manner,
- Good at managing budgets and is punctual with reports
- If required Is prepared to invest time outside of working hours to build relationships
- Achieve Average Gross Profit of 8% across the Business via setting budgets and driving margin growth
- Interrogate all aspects of Reports (CVR’s) and hold all project team to account on financial reporting.
- Identify new opportunities and sectors for the company to drive future growth
- Continue to develop Leadership Skills through continued learning and coaching
- Ensure prompt opening (Budget CVR and Start Sheet) and closing of Final Accounts
Health & Safety
The safety and health of our people and those affected by our actions is the primary concern of our company. A certified safety management system has been established and maintained in order for projects to be executed in a controlled, safe and compliant manner. It is the responsibility of the Commercial Manager to:
- Be aware and maintain compliance in respect of the our Health & Safety obligations
- Ensure resources required to deliver our Health & Safety expectations are correctly allocated
Financial Performance of your allocated projects
Working closely with the Commercial Manager / Senior Quantity Surveyor to ensure Targeted Gross Margins are met.
- In conjunction with the Estimating Team, once project hand over is complete present the project start sheet for review and approval. Clearly demonstrating the tender targets, improved status, VE Targets and also anticipated gains from Change Orders,
- To liaise with the Commercial Manager / Senior QS on all Contractual Administration concerns. To ensure in consultation with Commercial Manager/ Senior QS that all necessary notices and submissions required by the various forms of contract are given in an expedient manner so as to protect the company’s position in its trading activities.
- To ensure in consultation with the Commercial Manager/ Senior QS that all main contract payment applications contain all necessary additional cost claims and to ensure the prompt and regular submission of main contract payment applications and subsequent cash collection (strictly in accordance with the specified payment terms) Final accounts should be agreed within 4 weeks of PC.
- Maintain a healthy relationship with all Design team professionals and Client representatives throughout the project.
- Management and cost control on preliminaries budget/current/forecast
- Ensure all sub-contract orders are drawn up in timely manner, ensuring the performance of all liabilities lie strictly with the subcontractors and are written into the sub-contract form. Should any subcontractor / supplier require special payment terms, this must get prior approval from the Commercial Manager/ Senior QS. Ensure that issuing of all Purchase Orders is done in line with Procurement Payments Protocol where thresholds of Authority have been pre-agreed.
- Manage sub-contractor accounts including the negotiation and agreement of sub-contractor payments and final accounts
- To provide accurate monthly cost/value reconciliation and forward all CVRs within the timeframe set. Ensure all CVRs are reviewed with the Commercial Manager / Senior QS & CM/PM before any are issued to Finance Department
- To ensure that a high standard of professionalism is evident to all external clients, peers and subordinates in the day to day Commercial Management of the business.
- To ensure the full and proper implementation of the Team Commercial procedures where delegated authority so requires
Estimating / Tendering support as dictated by nature of project
The estimating function of the business will normally be the responsibility of the Commercial Director, however Quantity Surveyors will have to provide support and feedback from completed projects as well as some estimating / tendering on selected projects under guidance of your Commercial Manager
- Provide inputs to the Chief Estimator / Commercial Director where angles could be sought,
- Pre-contract negotiation on 2 stage Projects working alongside the estimation function.
- For repeat business / Day 2 Projects, take ownership of the Budgeting/Negotiation/Tendering Function and agreement of Costs with the Client Rep.
- Pre-Start Handover meeting with Estimating Team where budgets are agreed.
Client Retention & Developing New Opportunities
The Quantity Surveyor should always be cognisant that client relationships are not compromised for commercial factors and should be guided by their Commercial Managers in this regard
- Ensure client relationships are maintained throughout commercial negotiations
- Customer focussed with a drive for continuous improvement
- Continually develop business relationships and markets
Promoting the team culture and assisting in
- Assisting in the integration within the firm & development of more junior / newer staff members
- Assisting and encouraging all junior staff in their personal professional development
- Showing evidence of own CPD
- Leading by example in living our core values
In addition to core responsibilities the QS should also appreciate what would be considered their general responsibilities in areas such as (but not limited to) the following
- General administration / office duties / filing / archiving / telephone
- Arranging for defects inspections in advance of Expiry of Defects Date & liaising with Contracts Manager in respect of clearing those defects and in turn applying for our final account release.
- Promote the Company and actively pursue any new business leads
- Protect Flynn Management & Contractors contractually & follow Company procedures and protocols
This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to develop their skills and experience working in a busy and challenging environment who enjoys satisfaction delivering high quality projects safely.
Competitive salaries & benefits package available commensurate with experience. We will offer a relocation package for those relocating from abroad.
Please send a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the Role Reference Number CP QS 01 when applying for this role.