94 St. Stephen’s Green South has been extensively refurbished and rejuvenated to create a modern efficient workplace and reception to Stephens Green.
The protected building sits adjacent to Stokes Place and is located on the southern side of the Green, close to its junction with Harcourt Street. The original Wesleyan Centenary Chapel was built between 1842 and 1843 was redeveloped into an office block, following a fire in 1968.c
This new development, features a new triple-floor atrium behind the protected facade of the former Methodist Chapel. To improve the interface between this historic facade and the works spaces, the existing floor plates, abutting the historic facade were removed and a large scale roof light installed. A large atrium was formed with integrated structural support, clearly distinguishing the historical features. Deep fins span between the inserted structure and office floor plates with large glazing sheets for maximum light penetration. Glazing on ground and first floors overlooking the atrium, activate the space allowing interaction between the offices and the reception. A process of cleaning and reinstatement of original features has returned the facade to its former representation.
This project included the Refurbishment and a Cat A & Cat B fit-out. The works included the demolition and removal of some existing floor plates at first and second levels to create a new atrium up to roof level, provision for a new atrium roof light and a structural frame to support the atrium void. There was a Cat A fit-out of offices on all floors with a Cat B fit-out also to a number of floors. There was the refurbishment works carried out to the of existing portico, new finishes to reception area including the installation of a new revolving door and provision of welfare facilities in the basement along with retaining existing car parking. The facade package on this project was one of the most critical packages. There was a new rotating door installed at the front of the building along with a structural facade. As this was a protected structure, we worked very closely with the conservation architect throughout he works to ensure that the facade installation was carried out as required.
The new design reflects a considered approach to the conservation of the protected facade while applying a high quality refurbishment to the office spaces. While the original church fabric is largely lost to fire the remaining facade, enhanced by the proposed atrium, can recreate the lost volume and presents illuminated reception space that faces onto St. Stephen’s Green.