16 St. Stephens Green is located on the north side of the green and was constructed in 1776 by the surgeon-developer Gustavus Hume. The house is deemed a protected structure. The house is adorned with very fine example of decorative plasterwork from renowned stuccodore Michael Stapleton. The house was previously the residence for the Archbishops of Dublin. Subsequently, the house was sold to the Presbyterian Association in 1920 who remained in the property until it was sold in 1973. The building was then connected to a 5 storey office block in 1980.
The works included the conservation and repair of all the stonework, brickwork, faience, ironwork, roofs, chimneys, floors, staircases, windows, doors and plasterwork. The works include the removal of all vegetable matter and any encrusted salts from the stone and brickwork, the cleaning of all stone and brickwork and the raking out of all joints and the repointing of all brickwork. The subject building was in good condition generally, and the conservation works were completed to further consolidate the fabric of the building.